Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Location, Location, Location

Hello all! Firstly, let me wish you all a happy holiday season. Don't forget to nurse in a huge line at a crowded retail establishment. Good times for all.

So, on my flight to (from?) the midwest in the fall, I found myself pulling a couple of real stunts with the kiddo, and it made me wonder about all the crazy places moms have nursed and pumped. So I solicited contributions to this list. I'll start with my own:

Nursed: airplane bathroom. This is a little gross, but I was desperate to pee, and kiddo was miserable unless he was on the boob. The flight attendant was impressed.
Pumped: probably the previously discussed multitasking commute. Have also done hotel bathroom (ew) and parked in various interesting places.

Here are some from other moms, with the identifying information deleted or changed:

Patriotic nursing: The National Cathedral, The National Portrait Gallery and the Capitol Building (two boob salute!)

Boobjuice to go please: Airplanes, truck stops, parked at scenic overlooks, and (this sounds like no fun) leaning over the car seat while the car is in motion. Also sounds no fun: pumping in a train bathroom. Ew.

Working Dinner: Break room at work, car at job interview, "on call" room in a hospital during residency, and of course, pumping in the office or bathroom (ugh - crappy employer if you ask me!) Mama S.McD. wins for nursing in her advisor's office when they were discussing finishing her dissertation. Mama C.C. wins the pumping one in this category: the rather nicely appointed Ladies' Lounge at a (restaurant name not disclosed) in the middle of a dinner with clients - that impressed me - I would have been too anxious to let down.

Boobjuice al fresco: In an outdoor mall bathroom, Central Park, on a log resting during a hike, on an over 12,000 ft hike on a Colorado mountain top, Nursing Tent at the Indiana State Fair (go Hoosiers!)

Partyboobs: In a wine bar (mine! heh!), at restaurants, social clubs, an indoor water park.

Training Young Captiatlists: Ikea, Home Depot, Ladies' Lounge at Nordstrom's.

There are more I'm sure - send me your comments! But the takeaway here, ladies, is you should be free to pump and nurse wherever you need to, so please feel assured that another mom has done something weirder, no matter where you're about to put the girls to work. No one would think twice about whipping out a bottle of formula there, and there should be no location penalty for giving your baby the best food possible.

Happy nursing ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment