Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mama Wisdom

Hello Dear Boobjuicers and Friends!

Again I have been the blessed recipient of Mama Wisdom. This is, by my definition anyway, a special category of mom to mom advice. Not just good advice, which we all know is an unfortunately small subset of total advice received. This is that particular bit of advice which finds us at just the right moment and causes a cloud to lift off of our brains or hearts or both, leaving us feeling not only able to face what ever challenge drove us to seek advice (or just to vent) in the first place, but also as though we are truly not alone.

I have received Mama Wisdom from all sorts of interesting and unexpected places, but most recently, at a wedding. The Wise Mama is a friend that was at grad school with Hubby. We were chatting about parenting breastfeeding while I was staring unabashedly at her unreasonably beautiful daughter, who is turning into quite a young lady. She is much more of an earth mama type than me, and I have in the past have been skeptical of herbs and similar advice. But it turns out she was spot on. I tried one cup of the tea she recommended on Sunday and almost immediately felt much better! Of course I also spent almost three hours on my own, having lunch and poking around Sur la Table and Powell's Books (yay kitchen stuff and books!) But I'm sure the tea helped. Now I just have to find the happy balance between the helpful mood lifting effect of the tea and the laxative effect of the fenugreek in the herbs. (Best to ease into these things and not have two cups on day one and three cups on day two, it seems.)

Meanwhile Kiddo is seeming a little less interested in nursing of late, not consistently, but more frequently than before. He had a nasty head cold which turned into an ear infection, so until we got his sinuses opened up a bit it was hard for him to breathe while nursing. But I think maybe he is getting less interested generally. We'll see. I feel sad about it, but less so than I would have even a couple months ago, I think. And I feel a little more confident that he will still want me to pick him up and cuddle him, which he does in the mornings when we don't nurse any more. So maybe we're both approaching that point of being ready to put the boobies away. But for now I will look forward to "boo" again tonight.

Much love,
Suzi

No comments:

Post a Comment