Thursday, February 4, 2010

Happy Trails to Me!

Hello Dear Boobjuicers and Friends!

I have exciting news! Kiddo, Hubby, Bessie, the girls and I are all moving to Portland, OR! That is where my sister and her husband live, and their family plan is for us to have kids for them to play with. Can we say, "Free Babysitting"? Every time we have visited them there since they moved, it has gotten harder and harder to come "home" to California. So after 18 months of courting a firm in P-town, I got a great offer for a really exciting new job, and off we go! I'm really stoked, as you may have noticed.

This company seems really great - I had a lactation break during my on-site interview. In their dedicated lactation room. Awesome. To be frank, that's how it should be, for any company, but unfortunately we aren't there yet as a country, so when you happen across it, it's so exciting.!

Plus, our new apartment is 0.4 miles from the office. Ahhhh. Remember when I said that a commute while boobjuicing and breadwinning was a major downer? Well, now I can walk home and nurse at lunch if I want. Ahhhhh. It's kind of a small apartment, but I don't care - the idea of having kiddo number two four blocks away during that crazy time after resuming breadwinning post birth is so exciting, I think I'd be willing to live in a shoe to make it happen. Well, a boot. I mean, it rains a lot in Portland.

So I'm strapped to Bessie at the moment on my next-to-last pumping work day for a WHOLE MONTH. I don't start the new job until 3/8, so I get a pumping vacation! During which we are packing, moving, unpacking, and oh yeah, hubby is getting in one last film shoot before we leave L.A. - my suggestion. For which I have kicked myself a dozen times. But I know we'll both be really glad we made it happen once he's done. Interesting thing about the pumping vacation, though - during the week we had off to go find housing, I realized that pumping affords me a break from exposure to the thrush in kiddo's mouth, and from getting chewed on... maybe I'll be glad to see Bessie again... And I don't really get a month off from pumping, because I'll need to stock up the fridge and freezer before my first day. Even if I had a supply of breastmilk accumulated, it would be impossible or prohibitively expensive, I think, to get it to Portland without letting it thaw or stay out of the fridge for more than a couple hours.

Well, wish me luck!

Much love,
Suzi

No comments:

Post a Comment