Sunday, August 1, 2010

BoobJuiceTown!

Hello dear boobjuicers and friends!

Portland has many nicknames. Stumptown is my favorite because it's cute somehow. If I liked beer, beervana would be a top hit. But I would like to humbly suggest an addition. Boobjuicetown! This is a great city for a nursing mama. I'm particularly excited at the moment because of the upcoming Big Latch On PDX. I got the day off at the gentle prompting of new boobjuicer and supermama G.A., and we will be (ahem) furthering the cause of education and empowerment of America's mamas and the welfare of their children. By hanging out in a chocolate shop. Heh. Is this a great town or is this a great town? Thought so.

I met the founder of Big Latch on PDX today, at the Babyfriendly Block Party, which was a nice event (free chat with a lactation consultant!) I gave her some cards for my blog and she said she would put them in the gift bags for the mamas! Yay! Only wish I had made more... ah well. And I met someone from Oregon Nursing Mothers' Counsel. Okay, so take a moment - there *is* an Oregon Nursing Mothers' Counsel. Awesome. Anyway, gave her a card too, and found out how to become a volunteer. Because that's what I need, another activity. But anyway, it's good to know in case I decide I need another outlet for my lactivism. Which I might - poor marketing guy from one of our vendors got an email full of links and comments for his wife about their new baby. Ah, well he has a delete button, and he said it would be of interest...

But I digress. So there was an event in New Zealand, where Joanne is from, and she moved here and decided to organize a similar event. She's already planning next year - bigger, whole Northwest? There's someone in Houston who wants to do one... I say the more the merrier, and the Midwest needs some lactivism pretty big, I hear.

Local mamas, check out the website and bring your babies to the Big Latch On this Friday! Who knows if Kiddo will latch on in the middle of the morning at 18 months old, but just being an example of a mama still nursing at 18 months is exciting.

There are lots of other reasons that Portland is Boobjuicetown but I am soooooo tired. Bedtime for this mama.

Keep Boobjuicing and take good care!

Much love,
Suzi

1 comment:

  1. being a member of NMC is so incredibly rewarding, do it!

    ReplyDelete