Monday, December 20, 2010

Great Video on Pumping Technique!

Hello Dear Boobjuicers and Friends!

This is a really good video about pumping technique, aimed at moms of preemies but useful for all who will be pumping at any time.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

A couple of quibbles - the Hind milk is not "most nutritious," it's highest in fat. Which is very, very important, but so are the yummy vitamins in the foremilk. Also I don't know anyone who massaged their nipples while preparing to pump but if yours aren't hurting it's probably harmless and who knows, might help. Just be sure your hands are clean, which of course you did because you are pumping in the first place. Recall my ridiculously detailed description of one pumping session:
http://suzisboobjuice.blogspot.com/2009/12/bessies-dance.html

Totally concur that one should NOT feel compelled to up the suction on the pump to where it is uncomfortable. I had some not terribly helpful person in the hospital just automatically turn the pump to maximum. Ouch. Wanted to kick her. I think I used the pump on the lowest level much of the time, or close to it. As the manual says, turn it up to where it is slightly uncomfortable and then back it off until it is not uncomfortable. And as a side note there are all different kinds of folks in the Lactation Consultant world and if you aren't hitting it off with the one in your maternity ward or the one your girlfriend referred you to, by all means, find another. Some fancy mama/baby stores have one on staff and they are often very generous with their time on the phone, I have found. (Read: free advice! but to help them keep it free I advise buying something from their store when you have the chance.)

They have you massaging with the pump off after pumping - I'll try that next round should I be so blessed as to have another one. I tended to just leave the pump going while doing the hand expression at the end, out of sheer laziness, but who knows, maybe the rest is helpful. And of course if the shields aren't in your way you could turn off the pump but leave your band on to hold the bottles in place.

Remember you can single pump with a dual-electric pump by blocking one hole with the plug provided.

I think this video really calls attention to the importance of a good pumping band. I tried the one seen in the video and found it didn't stay up well - might work better on more buxom women. I liked this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Free-Breast-Pump-Halter/dp/B000HKYKT0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1292837795&sr=8-11

Not the softest thing in the world but highly adjustable and stayed up well because of neck strap. Amazon has a new one up with different colors which looks softer but less adjustable - might find yourself buying a second size, which isn't the end of the world but we don't all have limitless funds to be throwing at pumping bras...
http://www.amazon.com/PumpEase-Hands-Free-Pumping-Support/dp/B0034ISZ5W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292837819&sr=8-4
If one of you has that one, let me know how you like it.

Alright, back to bed soon. Boy are my sleep patterns jacked up.

Much love,
Suzi

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. Does anyone have any thoughts on battery powered pumps? Are they worth the money? I don't have an electric outlet in the room where I pump at work and so I have been using a hand pump. It is quite the arm workout, but I think it would be useful to have something more efficient. Are these pumps and good? recs on models/brands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks! I will try some of these. Like Suzi, I usually leave hand expression until the end. As an exclusive pumper (and mistress-of-much-data), I can confirm some of their data myself. They show a flat production for pump alone and a steady linear progression of milk production if you combine pump and hand expression.

    Having a baby remove the milk will move that slope upward. Sadly, after a week of bottlefeeding my 4 lb 5 oz baby in the NICU, she got used to instantly available food. She was never patient enough to wait for let-down and would wail heartbreakingly when the milk didn't flow immediately. Once she put enough on weight for us to try again, she started biting.

    So here I sit, pump prisoner, waiting for parole.

    And as for one of Suzi's prior posts, while I was pumping at a hippie-fast food restaurant here, I saw a Mom openly breastfeeding her tiny infant (no nursing coverup). I was instantly envious: she could cuddle her baby, feed the baby and eat at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another mama said she cut holes in an old jog bra to use as a hands-free pumping bra - genius!

    ReplyDelete