Friday, April 15, 2011

Boobjuice Class! Lactinerd Heaven!

Hello Beloved Readers!

I am so excited. I have gone to my Boobjuice class, or more properly referred to as peer counselor training for the Nursing Mothers' Counsel of Oregon, twice now. It's awesome! I am so excited that I'm sure I was a hyper pain in the butt for the first class (sorry ladies, I'm trying to contain myself, I swear). It's a really interesting mix of folks. All women - you have to have experience breastfeeding a babe to be a peer counselor, so not too surprising. I think half the class is doulas. One mama brings her little six month old to class and nurses him and lets him play on a blanket on the floor. He is sooooo cute and I got to sit next to them last class and make faces to make him smile. We have a doctor and a nurse and at least one teacher and then there's this random investment consultant, what's she doing in there? Oh wait, that's me.

Our teacher is a lactation consultant, natch, and a really neat lady. She's very patient and encouraging. We've learned a lot about how the breast works (it's so cool!), and we've gotten all fired up about formula companies, and heard interesting stories about her clients (very discreet of course). The book is interesting (boobjuice homework!) and I'm excited to be preparing to be of use to my fellow mamas. Also in addition to peer counseling (on the phones) one chooses another activity. I want to reach out to employers and help them become breastfeeding friendly. There's another person in the organization who's in charge of that and I'll get to meet her at the last class. I'm all fired up to call Nike and check them out. Presuming I can get them to take my call. I bet I can...

Another lactation consultant joined last time to help out, and from her I learned a useful thing. My Medela pump may have been colonized by my resistant yeast. Blech. So she advised me to chuck it. Which sounds expensive, but I gotta tell you dear readers, in the height of my misery if lighting $300 on fire would have cured me I would have done it in a heartbeat. So I may investigate a bit but likely, out it goes. Ameda and Hygeia both make pumps that have a filter between the breastmilk and the pump, so they can be used by another mama (with new accessories) and thus will not be colonized if, God forbid, I get yeast again. So I think I'll try calling Ameda and Hygeia and ask for a free/cheap pump in return for reviewing them and comparing them on my blog. What do you think, will it work? We'll see. Maybe at least a big coupon could be had... Do any of you mamas have experience with these brands?

Also I have been very remiss in getting those travel posts up. I will return to those stories I have collected and finish getting permissions and post them, but in the mean time, one of our readers is going on a week long business trip with her four month old and is seeking tips. Her mom is providing child care (sweet!) but what else can we think of to ease her trip?

And a teaser for an upcoming post - A guest blogger!!! She's really interesting, I'm looking forward to it.

Happy breastfeeding dear friends!

Love,
Suzi

2 comments:

  1. I have a Lansinoh- which is exactly the same as the Ameda. I also had an Ameda that I got at a consignment sale.

    The Lansinoh started making crazy noise and skipping beats so I emailed them and they agreed to replace it, even though the warranty was only for a year and I had had it for one year and two days. Seriously, talk about timing.

    I've never owned another pump, but I do like the Lansinoh/Ameda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just completing my first trip post baby #3. SO MUCH easier than post baby #1 which was shortly after 9/11 -- yes, I did go toe to toe with a New Jersey TSA agent who wasn't going to let me carry milk on the plane. Needless to say, I won, but I did have to sip a bunch of breast milk. Whatever.

    Easier this trip - the pump and liquid milk through security were no big deal at all.

    Harder this trip - thought pump motor was failing (slow/weak pressure). Then figured out one tube worked better than the other, so went back to single side pumping. Then (finally) figured out it was just the little white thin plastic thingie on the bottom of the horn that restricts air flow in. Replaced plastic thingie and back up & running with full power dual pumping again!

    New this trip - Fed Ex'ed milk back for the first time ever. My store was low (long story) and I was worried today's flight would be cancelled. Will report back on the whole FedEx/dry ice situation when the milk arrives tomorrow!

    Love the blog - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete