Sunday, June 17, 2012

On the Road

Hello Dear Boobjuicers and Friends!

Happy Father's Day! Fathers are important. I miss my dad. I have no idea what he would have thought of this blog. He probably would have been proud and embarrassed all at once. He was a chemist, and I'm sure with all the research I could have thrown at him, would have respected my breastfeeding and child led weaning. But the idea of his daughter talking about boobs all the time might have challenged his notions of proper conversation. I know he would have loved the house we just bought. We're in a quiet neighborhood, surrounded by trees and hills and kids and pregnant ladies. It's perfect for us. He would have enjoyed sitting on the back deck with a cup of tea or a glass of wine, watching the "traffic" go by. We joke that it's rush hour when two dogs go by at once. And he would have gotten a huge kick out of Matt's fancy stereo, which is linked up to the computer, or maybe a couple of computers, I can't keep track. There's an "Apple TV" involved and I haven't had my orientation training yet. But Dad was a sterophile, and also totally cutting edge on the computer front. We had a TRS-80 at home. Yep. If you don't need to Google that you are a geek.

My business trip was a rousing success! I brought a little hand pump (it's an Avent, sort of hard to find so I wonder if they're not making many of them anymore?) because of the horror stories I had heard about business trips with pumps breaking. I booked the trip to be as brief as possible, not quite doing the math about the part where that meant I would get 3.5 hours of sleep. But then that saved me from getting up in the middle of the night to pump. I talked to the flight attendants and my seat mates about pumping on the plane, and my meeting hosts found some spots in their offices for me to pump. I don't tweet so I posted to Facebook as I went. Here's how it went:


I don't tweet so I'm going to play by play my business trip on this post. To start I'm at PDX, pumping in an internet kiosk. Only other person in the "service center" is a female employee on break eating a snack. Next challenge will be pumping on the plane. Goal is no bathrooms.

On plane to Salt Lake City. Had seat next to middle-aged man. Switched seats and got a mother of six who natural birthed and breastfed all of 'em. Used hand pump during descent.

Smaller plane for Kansas City. Fancy hat lady next to me. We'll see. Loving the hand pump though. Smaller, easier to be discreet.

Hat lady was great. Told her the deal and she said, "You sat next to the right person!" even though she doesn't have kids. Now FB friends with the mom of six.

In my hotel room with Beulah, pumping before bed. I have to get up in four hours. Groan.

So after a cozy 3.5 hours of sleep (downside of the "fast as possible" trip plan) I woke up fairly full, which surprised me. Ran downstairs to get breakfast and the freezer inserts for my coolers, which Nice Front Desk Man stuck in their freezer for me since my cute little 1ft^3 fridge has no freezer cubby. Ate while pumping. (In my room. That didn't seem terribly clear.) Still pumping.

Due to meetings will have to go about three hours from end of this session to start of next one. Have hearty pumping bra and breast pads... Although come to think of it that's rather like a normal business day... Also, just pumped for 53 minutes. Phew. Okay, quick shower and toss all my stuff back together!

Meeting one. Then pumped in "wellness room," converted phone cubby. Lovely, on par with the rest of this swanky manager's fancy office. Meeting two. Tried to put me in the bathroom. Pointed out, gently, that it's food, you wouldn't make a sandwich in there. "I hadn't thought of that." After declining one office with a glass door and no blinds, I'm in a file room that's long and narrow enough that I can't be seen from the door. Which doesn't lock but I pushed a heavy box against it.

I am noticing that I'm more full and have a sore spot in the right breast. I'm glad I don't have to do this often.

Seated on flight to Seattle. Pumping w electric pump at my seat while they load the plane. I got the window in the last row, which is perfect, and asked the flight attendant, and pumped before the door closed. Now I can just sit!

Pumped again of flight because uncomfortable. Lost suction, thought battery was done, got all disassembled, realized a valve had fallen out. Sigh. But had pumped a decent amount. Still have hand pump clean for next flight if I get uncomfortable.

Almost home!!!

Standing by for half hour earlier flight to Portland... Cross fingers!

Got the earlier flight!

She's conked out. I made Matt come far me and Erick babysit and I don't even get to nurse until I get home. I could have expensed a cab. Sigh.

Home! Nursing! We made it!!!

Oof. Nursed ouchier side first while hand pumping the other. Now on second side. My little nursing champ did a great job on the first side.


----

Hope that's useful for someone!

Much love,
Suzi

No comments:

Post a Comment