Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I will be okay.

I wrote a poem. I'm fairly ignorant about these things but it's what was on my heart. So here it is.
Love,
Suzi


I will be okay.
I’m always okay again, eventually.
Not because everything was fine.
But because I kept putting one foot in front of the other.
Not because it didn’t hurt.
Because I believed it would hurt a little less each day.
Not because I wasn’t sad.
But because I was brave.

Let me cry.
Let me rage.
Let me fear.
Let me wonder.
You may hold me
You may comfort me
You may offer me your sympathy and understanding.
But do not try to stop me.
Do not try to take away my anguish.
Let me feel.
Or get out of the way.

Without these feelings there is no joy.
To feel joy I must feel grief, anger, fear, hurt, doubt.
Without these I cannot love.

To have faith I must allow doubt and move forward anyway.
To love I must allow myself to be hurt.
Not to be mortally wounded.
Not to sit defenseless while I am abused.
I will care for myself.
I can take care of myself.
I can leave if I need to.
I do not need you.
I simply want you.

I must allow myself the risk of hurt
To allow myself the possibility of love.
I will trust you
Because I trust myself.
I am strong.
I am brave.
I will be okay.

Therefore, I can love.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment